Bridge & other card games/Bidding

Question
I bid 1 heart, next person passed, my partner, with 5 hearts and 19 points, bid 3 hearts.  
Shouldn't my partner have bid game?

Answer

In Standard bidding a response of 3H over a 1H opening shows a strong hand with at least 13 points and four card heart support. It is a forcing bid...opener must bid again, opener is not allowed to pass 3H. Therefore, after a 3H response, your side is certain to reach at least a game and may investigate bidding a slam if there is enough strength. Therefore, the 3H bid is correct.

A 4H response to 1H has a different meaning. It is a preemptive raise showing 5 or more hearts, generally 8 points or less and generally a distributional hand. Even if your side does not make 4H, this bid makes it difficult for the opponents to enter the auction and possibly find their own profitable contract, most likely n spades.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk