Bridge & other card games/OPENING FOUR OF A SUIT

Question
I seem to recall reading or being told that if you hold eight cards in a suit, you can open with four of that suit.  Is that correct and about what count should you have in your hand.

Is it correct that if the defendants hold honors in the suit that declarer bids, defendants get credit for the honors if they are all held in one hand.

thank you.

Answer
Question:

I seem to recall reading or being told that if you hold eight cards in a suit,
you can open with four of that suit.  Is that correct and about what count
should you have in your hand.

Interesting question -

Look at these 3 eight card suits.

a.  A K Q 10 9 6 5 3

b.   K Q 10 8 7 5 3 2

c.   9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

In the first exmaple, this suit is so strong, it should win at least 7 tricks of the top, amd msot likely 8 tricks, barring a bad split  (J x x x) in an opponnent's hand.

Case (b.) should produce at least 6 tricks, with normal shape, and more if partner
holds an honor card.

Case  (c)  is a moth - eaten suit, which is missing the top cards. Still, it is a good candidate  for 4 or or 5 tricks, and more, if partner has a least two cards in the suit.

Recommendation:  Go for a bid of four with the first two hands, and a pre - empt bid of three with the last hand.   You should have at least two Aces or an A - K holding in an off suit.

If you have a lot of strength in the off suits with hand (c.), then, a 4 bid is justified.

Another factor for hands (a) and (b)  is the strength of the balance of your hand.  

These rare 8 cards holdings do not follow the standard rules of bidding.

And finally, 8 card Major suit holdings are preferred over 8 card minor suit holdings.

-----------------------------------------------------

Is it correct that if the defendants hold honors in the suit that declarer bids,
defendants get credit for the honors if they are all held in one hand.

I think you mean "opponents" or " defense" instead of  ' defendants" !

In Rubber Bridge, yes -  they do get the 100 or 150 honors bonus, if all of these honors are held
by the opposition.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bridge & other card games

Joe Andrews