Bridge & other card games/Bridge

Question
Wouldn't you agree that an overcall of 2 hearts (6 of them including 2 honours) and 6-9 points or a pre-emptive opening weak bid of 2 hearts (same as above) and 6-9 points, can be raised by partner having 6-9 points and 3 hearts to a bid of 3 hearts?  Someone told me partner above would require 13 points to bid.

If partner wishes to change the suit to 2 spades, what would be the minimum requirement?

Thanks very much.

Stewart Fluney

s

Answer

A preemptive 2H opening bid or jump overcall does indeed show about 6-9 points and a good 6 card suit. A nonjump 2H overcall (over a 1S opening bid by the opponents) should, however, show at least 11 points.

Over the preemptive 2H bid partner can raise to 3H with 6-10 points and three card heart support. This is not an invitational bid...the original 2H bidder should not bid again since he has shown what he has in his hand with the original 2H bid and the partnership does not have that many combined high card points. Rather, the purpose of the 3H raise is to "further the preempt", that is to make it even more difficult for the opponents to find their best playable contract by forcing them to start their bidding at a higher level. You might want to be a little more conservative if you are vulnerable and the opponents not.

For partner to bid 2S he should have a good suit, preferably six cards in length or a very good five cards, and at least 14 or 15 points. Also, he should not have more than a singleton heart since, if he has better heart support, then hearts is a good candidate for being trumps and your side only needs one trump suit. If you have located a good trump fit there is no point in looking for another one.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk