Bridge & other card games/revoke or renege

What are the consequences if I call for a renege and I am wrong in duplicate brdge?

Thank you.  Thomas Lippard IIIac4sy

To begin with, the (Duplicate game) Director must be called. Never make your own rulings especially regardng revokes.

First, the Director  will check whether your revoke is 'established'. When you or your partner play to the next trick the revoke is established, and penalties come into force. Also, a revoke is established if you or your partner claim, or accept an opponent's claim.

If you realize you have revoked before it is established, you must correct it. You replace the revoking card with a legal card. Any cards played by the other side after the revoke may be changed. If the next player does withdraw his card, and your partner played after him, then he may withdraw his card, too.

While there is no penalty for an unestablished revoke, if you are defending then any cards withdrawn by you or your partner become major penalty cards. They must be left on the table and played at the earliest legal opportunity (there are also lead penalties, as associated with any major penalty card).

In summary, there is no (major) penalty if there is no revoke. (The above procedural applications are still in effect. Still, you should make an effort to watch closely all of the cards which are played from trick to trick.

Bridge & other card games

Joe Andrews

I can answer questions about most card games . These games include Bridge, Hearts, Spades, Euchre, Canasta, Whist, Pinochle, Cribbage, and Rummy.

I was the organizer director of Grand Prix World Series of Card games. (1999 - 2011) I have written 5 books about card games. (Spades, Hearts, Euchre, Whist, and Barbu. ) I invented a new card game called "Heartswitch" (US Games, Inc.) I am developing four more card games. I am also a consultant for the US Playing Card Company. My Web site is:

GAMES Magazine (8 Artciles) , Microsoft Gaming Zone, Popular Bridge

I have a Bachelor's Degree in History.

US Playing Card Company