Bridge & other card games/Bridge

Question
Do you agree that a partner's response of 4 Clubs to partner's opening bid of 1 NT means responder wants to know how many Aces partner has and a response of 4 Diamonds means partner has 1 Ace.

Additionally, is it agreed a response of 4 NT to partner's opening bid of 1 NT means responder wants to extend bidding in NT to possibly 5-6 or 7 NT.

Finally, do you agree a response of 4 NT to partner's opening bid of 1 Club means responder wants to know how many Aces opener has and a reply of 5 Diamonds means opener has 1 Ace.

Thank you for a response at your convenience.

Stewart Fluney

Answer

4C over an opening 1NT or 2NT asks for aces. A response of 4D shows zero or four aces. 4H shows one, 4S shows 2 and 4NT shows 3.

4NT over an opening 1NT is invitation al to 6NT. Opener should pass with a minimum and bid 6NT with a maximum. This is similar to a 2NT response where opener bids 3NT with a maximum and passes with a minimum, the difference being is that with 4NT responder is inviting slam instead of game. If responder wants to invite to 7, he should bid 5NT over 1NT. This forces you to slam. Opener bids 6NT with a minimum and 7NT with a maximum.

Yes, 4NT over 1C asks for aces with 5C showing zero or four, 5D shows one, 5H shows two and 5S shows three.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk