Bridge & other card games/Bidding

Question
If I open with 1 spade & have 13 HCP, second seat passes and my partner also has 13 HCP but the distribution is 5 diamonds, 4 clubs, 1 heart and 3 spades, should my partner take me to game in spades (4 spades) or should we continue the auction to get a better description of the combined hands? What are the benefits and disadvantages for each decision?

Answer

Partner should initially bid 2 diamonds and support spades later, possibly jumping to 4S on the second round of bidding to make sure that there is no accident resulting in the hand being passed out below game.

An immediate bid of 4S, however, has a different, special meaning. It shows a weak hand, usually 8 points or less, with at least 5 card spade support and also a singleton or void somewhere.

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk