Bridge & other card games/How to get to slam

Question
Hi and thanks for your help

N - AK9xx  AJx  KJxx 7
S - J10   KQxx  AQxxx Kx

The bidding was  1S 2C Dble P 2D P 3C P 3NT all pass
6D is cold. 6NT also works out as E has Qx of Spades.

My 3C bid was intended to show partner a better than opening hand and interest in slam. He took it as having a good hand with a club stopper.

Do you think the 3C bid was correct ? If so how should the bidding proceed after that ? ( P 4C P 4D P 4NT P 5C P 6D ?? )

If not how should the hand be bid ?

Answer

I agree that your 3C bid showed a good hand with slam interest, likely in diamonds. If you had a hand with a club stopper that wanted to play 3NT you could have just bid 3NT immediately without the extra 3C bid first. Also, the 3NT bid by partner wrong-sides the 3NT contract in the situation (highly unlikely here) that W has the ace of clubs.

Over 3C, partner can show his heart control by bidding 3H. South can then either bid 4C if you are allowed to cue bid kings or else 4D to remove any ambiguity about the trump suit. Then 4NT-5C-6D.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk