Bridge & other card games/Bridge

QUESTION: Consider a responding bid of 2 hearts to an opening bid by his partner of 1 heart.  The responding partner has only 5 points but 5 hearts.  The bidding has progressed to 3 hearts by opening partner and pass by responding partner. The contract was 3 hearts and the game turned out we went down 1 but opening partner insisted I should still have gone to 4 hearts instead of passing.  What do you think?

Thank you.

Stewart Fluney

Unlikely that you should bid 4H but it is impossible to say without knowing exactly what your whole hand is.

QUESTION: Sorry.  The hand of 5 points was K. Q, 10, 9, 7 hearts.  What do you think>

Stewart Fluney

I still do not know the distribution of the other suits.

If there is no singleton or void then definitely pass.

If the distribution is 5-5-3-0 bid 4H.

If it is 5-4-3-1 you could attempt 4H but it is an aggressive bid. Passing would also be acceptable.

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.