Bridge & other card games/bridge

My hand held 7 clubs with 4 honors (in clubs) and 17 points Ace in hearts and A in diamonds.  I did not count the void as points. I opened with 4 clubs, my partner only had the Q of hearts and bunches of other cards not worth much, so she passed. East passed. West bid 4 diamonds and I bid 5 clubs.  West doubled.  West did not like my bid and said it isn't legal.  What is your opinion. Yes, I made 5 clubs doubled.

Your bid certainly is legal (legal bids are not defined as only those bids that West happens to like) however it is not the standard hand for a 4C opening bid. A 4C opening is a preemptive bid, usually having 8 clubs to maybe the KQJ or similar, but with little if anything else outside. The hand you actually had is likely to take 9 tricks and does not need much from partner to make game. You should just open the hand 1C and bid strongly after that. For example, if partner responds 1S you can now bid 3NT as you have 9 tricks and it is unlikely the opponents can hurt you in spades. Some people might even choose to open your hand with a strong 2C opening but I would not recommend it.  

Bridge & other card games

I can answer questions on bidding and on cardplay with the caveat that the former may necessarily involve some subjectivity. I have been playing tournament bridge for over 20 years and I have won several regional tournaments.