Bridge & other card games/shape showing bids + reverses

Question
QUESTION: Hi, with 5 clubs and 4M what do you recommend that I respond to partner's opening bid of a)1D or b)1H?

Many thanks

ANSWER: Hi,

Depends on your point count and your specific hand.

QUESTION: At least 10 points, say a) Qxx, KJxx, x, AJxxx or b) x, AKxx, Kxx, KQtxx

Answer

With the first hand I would bid 1H over a 1D opening. This hand is not quite strong enough to force to game and may be somewhat of a misfit. With non game forcing hands it is preferable to bid the major at the one level.

With a game forcing hand such as hand b), most experts now advocate responding 2C over 1D. This is not only bidding your longest suit first but also letting partner know right away that you have a good hand (even if you do not play 2/1 game forcing, the 2C bid shows at least invitational strength). You can then bid hearts on your next turn to show your shape and set up a definite game force.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk