Bridge & other card games/Effect of bid over double

Question
Hi,  E/EW. The bidding went  P-1nt (12-14) - X (15+ pts) - rdl (please rescue) -.?

1. What would 2S by E mean after the intervening bid?

2.  What would you recommend E bidding, holding: QT763  AT   Q52   Q64

Many thanks

Answer

Most of the time with a combined holding of at least 25 points you will be happy to double the opponents at the 2 level and collect a large penalty. You can pass the redouble and then make a penalty double of whatever suit they end up in. However, at this vulnerability it is probably advisable to try for your vulnerable game since you would have to set the opponents four tricks to get a better score (assuming that your game makes).

Bidding 2S immediately shows a fairly weak hand and says that you want to play in 2S. Your hand is too strong to make that bid. You want to end up in 3NT or 4S. You could bid 3S immediately asking partner to choose and hope partner is on the same wavelength. Alternatively, you can pass and on your next turn, after the opponents have bid a suit, you can jump to 3S now. Partner should definitely take this as showing a good hand and bid 4S or 3NT.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk