Bridge & other card games/Opening bid

Question
What would an expert open the bidding with:
AKQxx
void
AQxxxxx
AQ

Answer

There are two schools of thought on this.

The hand is certainly strong enough to open 2C and many experts would do just that. However, many other experts are reluctant to open 2C with strong two suited hands if one or both of the suits is a minor suit. The reason is that since the auction will use up so much bidding space you can easily be at the 4 level before showing both of your suits. Furthermore, if you have nasty opponents who decide to make your life difficult (2C-2H-P-4H) things will be even more uncomfortable.

These players would advocate opening 1D and then reversing by rebidding 2S and then 3S. This is game forcing and shows a 6-5 distribution. While you might be afraid that 1D will be passed out, in reality this is very unlikely since there are 19 high card points and 13 hearts outstanding. And if the opponents decide to interfere...1D-1H-P-4H...now you can just bid 4S and give a reasonably accurate picture of your hand. I, personally lean toward opening 1D.  

Bridge & other card games

Unhunk