Britain/United Kingdom/England/Travel time from Liverpool Street London to Gatwick Airport

Hello Alun,

How much time will it take to travel from Liverpool Street to Gatwick airport? My flight departs at 1055 hrs.

You can take the Circle line of the London Underground from Liverpool Street to Victoria in 20 minutes, and the fast trains ("Gatwick Express" from Victoria take only 30 minutes to reach the airport.

However, you need time to buy tickets (separate ones for each part of the journey) and to move between trains, so you need to allow at least 90 minutes, especially as I'm guessing that you'll have luggage.

Further, I presume that you'll need to check in 2 hours beforehand and need to arrive at the check in for 9am, so you'll be travelling at the busiest part of the day in London.

You'll therefore need to be at Liverpool Street for around 0630.

An alternative would be to take a tube train 6 minutes to Farringdon, then take the local train direct to Gatwick, which, in total, would take about an hour, but again, these trains are very busy at that time of day, but are certainly quicker overall if you are short of time in the morning.

Does this help, please?

Come back to me if I've misunderstood anything, or can help further.

Alun Hill

Britain/United Kingdom/England

Alun Hill MCIJ

As a full time, UK based, travel journalist, I travel almost constantly around the whole of the UK, searching out restaurants, hotels and "must see" places. Visitors for both business and pleasure are welcome to ask questions. I almost always travel by public transport, so questions on rail, air and coach / bus travel are also very welcome. I also regularly write about and use the "Eurostar" rail service between London and Continental Europe - which uses a tunnel under the English Channel - so I am able to help with any questions there, too.

I'm a full time, UK based, travel journalist. I travel almost constantly around the whole of the UK, searching out restaurants, hotels and "must see" places for my readers. I have been writing about, filming and reporting from UK tourism destinations for over 12 years. I cover both "business" and "pleasure" trips for my readers.

I am a member of the "Chartered Institute of Journalists" (the world's oldest professional body for journalists), the "British Association of Journalists" and "The International Travel Writers Alliance". I hold a full UK Press Card, issued by the Metropolitan Police at Scotland Yard, London.

National and local press in UK. Local and National TV in the UK and Europe (Germany, Hungary), reporting on travel and tourism in the UK.