Britain/United Kingdom/England/another heathrow question

QUESTION: good morning alun: I would like to take the National Express coach. But i am worried about having 3 pieces of luggage, carry on , golf bag, and suitcase and taking a bus. Have you ever taken National Express coach with a bunch of luggage? is it difficult? Where does one catch the National Express coach at treminal 3?
thanks again

ANSWER: Happy to help!

Your luggage is not a problem at all.

"You are allowed to take onto a service one or two medium sized suitcases or rucksacks (no more than 20kg per item) free of charge and one small piece of soft hand luggage. In this context hand luggage means something that is capable of being stored in the overhead rack or beneath the seat. "

The coach has huge underfloor storage areas, which the driver accesses from doors on the side of the coach.

There is one coach and bus station covering terminals 1, 2 and 3 and this is well signposted once you clear immigration.

"All coach services call at the central bus station, which is a short walk from the terminals and has lifts, escalators and moving walkways to help with the journey. The bus station is open 24 hours a day and the travel centre is open from 06:00 to 22:30"

Although you can buy a ticket online in advance, as your flight and immigration may be delayed, as I mentioned earlier, and the coaches run regularly, it is probably as well to just take the next one.
In the travel centre in the bus station there is a staffed office to sell tickets - but the adjacent machines are very easy to use and show the time and stand number of your next coach to Gatwick.

Let me know where I can help further, please, or if something isn't clear, of course.

QUESTION: hello alun: is the price the same if i buy it the day i land as opposed to buying it online?

25 single / 40 return - round trip. (Actually, if you book online, theres an additional 1 fee!)

The only advantage of buying in advance (apart from not needing to queue for a ticket) is that if your first coach is full, you'll wait for the next one, whereas if you book in advance you'll get on the chosen service.

However, if you are late, you will pay an extra 5 and have to queue to pay it ...

It's quite rare for a service to be full, as they are very good at estimating numbers, of course, after so many years of operating the service and they run as frequently as up to every 15 minutes.

Britain/United Kingdom/England

Alun Hill MCIJ

As a full time, UK based, travel journalist, I travel almost constantly around the whole of the UK, searching out restaurants, hotels and "must see" places. Visitors for both business and pleasure are welcome to ask questions. I almost always travel by public transport, so questions on rail, air and coach / bus travel are also very welcome. I also regularly write about and use the "Eurostar" rail service between London and Continental Europe - which uses a tunnel under the English Channel - so I am able to help with any questions there, too.

I'm a full time, UK based, travel journalist. I travel almost constantly around the whole of the UK, searching out restaurants, hotels and "must see" places for my readers. I have been writing about, filming and reporting from UK tourism destinations for over 12 years. I cover both "business" and "pleasure" trips for my readers.

I am a member of the "Chartered Institute of Journalists" (the world's oldest professional body for journalists), the "British Association of Journalists" and "The International Travel Writers Alliance". I hold a full UK Press Card, issued by the Metropolitan Police at Scotland Yard, London.

National and local press in UK. Local and National TV in the UK and Europe (Germany, Hungary), reporting on travel and tourism in the UK.