Britain/United Kingdom/England/heathrow transport

Question
QUESTION: hello alun: i need to find the best taxi service at reasonable price between heathrow and a gatwick airport hotel.thanks

ANSWER: Hi - how many passengers, please, what time of day and is there a lot of luggage?

Alun

QUESTION: 1 person, a carry on bag,  a suitcase, and a golf club bag. thank you

Answer
Thanks.

Without a doubt, the cheapest way is likely to be the National Express coach, which needs no booking, at about 25, then most hotels at Gatwick have free shuttle buses.

(There are 2 types of taxis in London, a "London black cab" and a private hire car - usually a normal car / minivan.)

However, if you do want a taxi, it is difficult as

1) if you book in advance and your flight is delayed / you're a long time in Immigration (which can be 2 hours at peak times at Heathrow), you will have waiting time etc added. Some companies have hidden fees, too, such as waiting, meet and greet, excess luggage and so on.

2) A real London "black cab" from the cab rank at Heathrow might seem expensive at around 60, but if you're travelling on a Monday morning or a Friday evening, the huge amount of traffic at this tim can add another 20 to the fare - but at least it will be one journey direct to your hotel. Remember, too, that queues at the Heathrow taxi rank can be long, although there are marshals who try and keep things moving as quickly as possible.

So, if your hotel is either at Gatwick or is nearby and has a shuttle bus, the coach is the cheapest and only takes minutes more than a taxi. Otherwise, I would recommend a London black cab.

Does this help, please?

Alun

Britain/United Kingdom/England

Alun Hill MCIJ