British History/sea route between India and England

Ricardo wrote at 2012-09-14 11:42:29
In case you're still following this, my great grandfather travelled from Liverpool to Calcutta in 1862 on the iron clipper James Crossfield (I'm virtually certain a sailing ship, built that year). He kept a diary showing the daily position of the ship, which is fascinating (I plotted it on Google Earth and they went very close to the South American coast on the way south). It took 97  days and they covered 16000 miles. I don't think they stopped on the way, which means they averaged c.7 knots.

Doffo wrote at 2013-11-10 05:03:39
Many thanks.  I to have been trying to find out this information.

British History

Mark Smith