British History/Oldest title

Omahhum wrote at 2014-03-30 03:13:41
The oldest peerage in the UK is the Earldom of Mar, in Scotland. It was granted by Alexander II in 1114.

Many of these old titles have come down via rather serpentine paths. The De Ros title, which has provision for special remainder, has been in abeyance a number of times. In addition, the original writ of 1265 was issued in the king's name by Simon de Montfort. Other titles, notably the Barony of Hastings, were issued by de Montfort at the same time but were later disallowed by the House of Lords in favor of later creations. (Both De Ros and Hastings were created a second time in 1295, under Edward I.)

All this is by way of saying that a number of more senior titles exist with clearer lines of inheritance.  

Hermogenes wrote at 2014-03-31 19:17:51
The Earldom of Mar, granted by Alexander II of Scotland is older, having been granted in 1114.

It would be possible to argue that the Barony of Hastings is as old as De Ros, since both writs of the first creation were granted by Simon de Montfort at the same time. Both title were created a second time in 1295, by Exward I.

A number of  titles feature remainder through the female line. Examples include the barons de Beaumont (1309, held by the Duke of Nordolk) and the dukes of Marlborough.

The current holder of the. De Ros Barony is Peter Trevor Maxwell, 28th Baron.  

British History

Mark Smith

I have a good basic knowledge of British political history, but my speciality is the Kings and Queens of England and Scotland from 927 AD. Please no social history questions, it's not my strong point and I'm unlikely to answer them.

No professional experience, but a lifelong interest and access to a variety of sources of information.

"A" level in History.