British History/Question about medal

Hi there

My great grandmother was a suffragette in England. I have what I believe to be her medallion from her group but I was wondering if you may have some information on it. I am considering getting it insured too.

Thank you for any help you can provide

I attached pictures

Hello Shelley,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.  I was unable to respond to your question as the system's database was blocking me.  

As with any family heirloom I would advise insuring it.  I don't believe it has any intrinsic value besides its sentimental importance to you.  Most likely your grandmother was in a league or suffrage associations that wanted to make plain its unity in this matter.  Universal suffrage came to the UK in 1928 (restrictions applied before then (see:  If your grandmother was one of the leading suffragettes of the era there may be increased value in this interesting artifact.  Note too that it says it's a Temperance league medal; while suffrage and temperance were often linked I believe there are two different issues at hand.

My advice continues to be to look for a local auction or estate planning firm in your area.  They often have free valuation services on a monthly basis.

Good luck!

Joseph Logue

British History

Joseph Logue

I am knowledgeable about English history from about 1400 to 1688, and then from the reign of Victoria (after 1837). I have a particular interest in the monarchy and dynastic relations of Europe from 1800 onwards. I cannot answer questions regarding the latter Stuarts, the early Hanovers, and the politics of the 18th century.

Undergraduate degree in British history.
Lifelong interest, and over 25 years of personal study.
Oxford University: History of the British Monarchy

MS/Library and Information Science
Graduated with distinction from the Program for European Studies (UMass Boston).