British History/Ancestor

Hi, I have an ancestor born in West midlands, that i have being married in Belgaum, Bombay in 1858 to a lady with an English sounding name. They then had a son in Kurachi in 1859. I've tried to find if my ancestor was in the army and travelled to India but cannot find anything. They all returned to England and settled in West Bromwich. Why may two British born people be in India at that time. Is there any way i can check passenger lists? Any ideas please. i am so lost!

Hello Ellen.
The most likely answer is that he was in the army, large numbers of troops were sent out to India in 1857/58 to deal with the Indian Mutiny. She was possibly the daughter of a soldier, a civil servant or a merchant.
If you could send me your ancestors names and details of their life in West Bromwich, dates etc I can check it out on Friday.  

British History

Mark Smith

I have a good basic knowledge of British political history, but my speciality is the Kings and Queens of England and Scotland from 927 AD. Please no social history questions, it's not my strong point and I'm unlikely to answer them.

No professional experience, but a lifelong interest and access to a variety of sources of information.

"A" level in History.