British History/History (WW1)

Why did Britain win the war at sea?

Hello Bethany.
Simply by having the larger navy and greater resources. No German warships of any great size operated outside the North Sea, the British blockade penned in the High Seas Fleet throughout the war, therefore they were unable to take on the Royal Navy on the high seas. Also Germany was cut off from outside supply; oil, rubber etc, while the British still had full access to world trade. The greatest German threat came from U-boats, but they were gradually reduced in numbers and effectiveness as the war went on.

British History

Mark Smith

I have a good basic knowledge of British political history, but my speciality is the Kings and Queens of England and Scotland from 927 AD. Please no social history questions, it's not my strong point and I'm unlikely to answer them.

No professional experience, but a lifelong interest and access to a variety of sources of information.

"A" level in History.