British History/History of 18th Century England

Question
I'm interested in passenger travel from India to England in the 18th century.

What were the routes the ships took from England to Calcutta?
Name of any particular ship in this route?
What kind of ships carried the passengers?

An answer would be very helpful Sir .. this site is wonderful and has helped me in a many ways

Answer
Hello Faizul.
The largest company by far sailing between GB and India in the 18th century was the British East India Company. The route taken outward was non-stop round the Cape of Good Hope and north across the Indian Ocean; for ships sailing to the west coast of India they would sail through the Mozambique Channel between Africa and the island of Madagascar, for those heading for the east coast they would sail east of Madagascar. Great Britain had no stopping points en route until they took over the Dutch colony of the Cape in the 1790s. On the return journey they would stop at the island of St Helena in the Atlantic, it was off their regular route outward bound unless bad weather forced them to shelter there. Ports in west Africa could also be visited in emergencies, but they too were off the standard route.
There were many ships sailing this route, a few examples from the 18th century are : "Abingdon" 1703-14, "Prince of Wales" 1737-49, "Harcourt" 1765-74 and "Walpole" 1778-99.
Passengers were carried on all of their ships, the numbers depending on their size.  

British History

Mark Smith