British History/Passage to India in 1872

I'm trying to find out if direct sea travel to India from England was available during 1872. By 'direct' I mean straight through the Suez canal without taking a land route and changing ships. If so, what ship line offered this route for passengers. If not, how did travellers generally get from England to India in those days? Many thanks for considering my question.

Hello Joanne.
P&O (Peninsular and Oriental) was the largest company sailing from GB to India in the 1870s, its ships passed through the Suez Canal. It was far quicker than the old route via South Africa and did away with the need for the arduous cross-desert land route.

British History

Mark Smith

I have a good basic knowledge of British political history, but my speciality is the Kings and Queens of England and Scotland from 927 AD. Please no social history questions, it's not my strong point and I'm unlikely to answer them.

No professional experience, but a lifelong interest and access to a variety of sources of information.

"A" level in History.