Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)/connecting a second computer


i would like to connect my daughter's desktop on another floor of house to my centurylink dsl/660 router/ethernet--can i?  what equipment would i need--someone at centurylink said i would need a "splitter" but what does that mean?  thanks

yes, you need a small Ethernet switch and some Ethernet jumpers.  a 4 port Ethernet switch would be commonly used here.  Plug each device's Ethernet port into a separate port on the switch.  Make sure not to plug into the uplink port if there is one on the switch.

Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ted Mittelstaedt


I will answer questions on the following kinds of High Speed Internet connectivity; ISDN, Frame Relay, dedicated T1, higher speeeds such as DS3/OC3, wireless such as 802.11 and DSL. No questions on dialup V90 or Cable access. I can also answer questions on many types of Cisco routers, and a number of other brands of business routers as well.


I am the technical manager of Internet Partners Inc. an ISP.

I've written a book titled "The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide" published by Addison Wesley

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]