Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)/Suggest a Wireless Router

Question
Hi Ted,

I want to purchase a wireless router for my home (medium). As there are many companies with wide range, I am a bit confused. I am presently using "Dlink dir 524" (old one), I hardly get a signal from 10 meters away.
  I checked on internet for range of models, I saw a model "D-Link DIR-600L Wireless N 150 Cloud Router", this is within my budget for home. But, I am apprehensive about the word "cloud" and the security concerns for browsing info, personal data etc., and also that this is a Taiwan/chinese company.

What is the difference between "D'link Dir-600L" & "D'link Dir-600M". Which one is preferred?

Can you throw some light on it and suggest me any other router (any company including Dlink) at the earliest, as wish to purchase immediately.

thanks
Sumazu

Answer

I would suggest you look at http://www.dd-wrt.com and http://openwrt.org and buy something off their hardware compatibility databases.  The reason why is that although you may never need to load alternative firmware on your router, the routers that are incompatible on these lists are USUALLY incompatible because the companies that made them are cutting costs and quality by using cheaper components that are not as good.

Also, if possible get a router that allows for an external antenna to be connected.  The internal antennas are not as good.

Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)

Ted Mittelstaedt