Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)/Connecting to the internet

There must be something simple that I am clueless about.  The network connection says 1394 Connection, Speed 400.0 mps, Status:  Connected.  But I click on the Internet Explorer icon and get the message that it Cannot Find Server.  I don't know how to set up anything.  It says connected but I can't get online.

1394 connection is for the firewire port.

I have never heard of a modern DSL or cable modem that used firewire to connect to a PC

firewire is deprecated in newer Windows anyway.  USB 3.0 has replaced it on macs and pcs as it runs much faster.

You need to use an Ethernet port on your PC connected to your DSL modem or cable modem with an Ethernet cable.  This should have been done for you when your ISP setup your broadband connection.  Call your ISPs technical support and they can walk you though it over the phone.

Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)

Ted Mittelstaedt

I will answer questions on the following kinds of High Speed Internet connectivity; ISDN, Frame Relay, dedicated T1, higher speeeds such as DS3/OC3, wireless such as 802.11 and DSL. No questions on dialup V90 or Cable access. I can also answer questions on many types of Cisco routers, and a number of other brands of business routers as well.

I am the technical manager of Internet Partners Inc. an ISP.

I've written a book titled "The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide" published by Addison Wesley