Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)/Fiber Optic and Cat5 Cable in Cable Television and Telephone Systems.

Dear Ted

Can we alternatively use Fiber Optic and Cat5 Cable in Cable Television and Telephone Systems as a replacement to Coaxial Cable ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Yes and no.

Coaxial cable used in Telephone Systems is used mainly for DS3 interfaces. DS3s can be carried on fiber, there is a standard for that.

Coaxial cabled used to be used in Cable Television to carry analog signals.  Today it is used to carry digital signals.  Fiber can easily be substituted for this.  But, Cat5 cable cannot be as cat5 cable is distance-limited to 200 meters with one exception.

The exception is that they make baluns that convert 75 ohm coax to cat5.  But this is only for point-to-point connections, and the distance is limited, and 75 ohm coax is used for analog TV signals and there will be signal degradation the longer the run is.

Broadband (Cable, DSL, Satellite, Fiber Optics)

Ted Mittelstaedt

I will answer questions on the following kinds of High Speed Internet connectivity; ISDN, Frame Relay, dedicated T1, higher speeeds such as DS3/OC3, wireless such as 802.11 and DSL. No questions on dialup V90 or Cable access. I can also answer questions on many types of Cisco routers, and a number of other brands of business routers as well.

I am the technical manager of Internet Partners Inc. an ISP.

I've written a book titled "The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide" published by Addison Wesley