Brother & Sister Problems/How can I deal with my brother?

Question
Hello Lauren,
I hope you can answer this question:
I have a younger brother (age gap 4 & 1/2 years) who I never liked as I felt unwanted by my parents. We used to get into a lot of fights when we were young, and my parents would chide me for hitting my brother. A lot of things happened which I'm not going to elaborate, but afraid to start conflicts, I stopped interacting with my own brother. As matter of fact, I hardly talk to my parents as well. Now, since I don't raise my hand (or voice) on my brother, that idiot has the guts to insult me as he pleases. He doesn't talk to me either, but when he does, his tone is always patronising and full of disdain. He once insulted me on my own birthday for a trivial reason. My parents scold him, but he turns a deaf ear to them. I am 17 and he's 13. Everyday I desire to hit him badly. Is there any other way to deal with this?
Thank you.
Revan
Troubled elder brother

Answer
Hello Revan! I want to start off by telling you, what you are doing is right. I'm glad you didn't turn to violence. You should try to sit down with your parents and your brother and tell them how you feel. If that doesn't work talk to someone you can trust like a close friend or teacher. Hopefully this is just a phase and he will be over it soon. In the meanwhile try being super nice to him and when he insults you don't let it effect you. Hope this helps!

Brother & Sister Problems

Lauren