Buddhists/Buddhism & Ethics

Where do Buddhists get their idea of moral justice? How does one judge right from wrong in order to follow the path to nirvana? Are they based solely on the teachings of Buddha?

Hi Casey,

The Buddha encouraged his followers to use their common sense and human intelligence to live a peaceful and harmless life.  Every right thinking person knows what is good and what is bad if  only they would allow their human intelligence and common sense to guide them. But such is not always the case, due to error in perceptions and interpretations.

We don't need the Buddha or any spiritual being to tell us what is right or wrong.  Use this simple Golden Rule: "Don't do to others that you don't want done to you.

Or ask these 3 simple questions:

1. Is the action harmful to oneself?
2. Is the action harmful to others?
3. Is the action beneficial?

Justin Choo

Justin Choo

All your questions will be answered, and you may not have to agree with the answers. Such is the beauty of Buddhism. I follow the Theravada tradition, and have been studying Buddhism for more than 50 years. As I am not a Buddhist scholar, I answer in simple language, and I prefer answering general questions rather than textual.

I was brought up in the 50's as a Buddhist. For the past 50 years I have read numerous books on Buddhism and listened to numerous talks on Buddhism by well-respected and learned monks and lay teachers. I have conducted Buddhist classes for parents of Sunday School children in a Theravada Buddhist Temple. My teacher was the late Chief Reverend, The Ven. K Sri Dhammananda of The Brickfields Buddhist Mahavihara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You can view the relevant website in memory of my revered late teacher @ and my blog posting at

I am a life member of the Buddhist Missionary Society Malaysia.

YOU ARE INVITED TO VISIT MY BLOG @ Published a book called "The Rainbow And The Treasure". It is a compilation of extracts from various sources to introduce Buddhism to beginners. (Currently out of print)

Bachelor of Commerce And Administration, Victoria University Of Wellington, NZ.(1974)