Buddhists/Personalisty and Individuality

If, in Buddhism, there is no personal god and the goal over Buddhist tradition is to reach nirvana through the Noble Eightfold Path, how are personality and individualism viewed from a Buddhist perspective?

Good morning Casey,

The Buddhist concept of rebirth explains your question.  This is not our only birth.  We have come a long way accumulating the good and the bad, a concoction of actions that constitute our whole personality. Understanding this concept of continuous rebirth and the universal law of kamma, Buddhists are compassionate towards beings irrespective of their different personalities and characters.

Justin Choo

Justin Choo

All your questions will be answered, and you may not have to agree with the answers. Such is the beauty of Buddhism. I follow the Theravada tradition, and have been studying Buddhism for more than 50 years. As I am not a Buddhist scholar, I answer in simple language, and I prefer answering general questions rather than textual.

I was brought up in the 50's as a Buddhist. For the past 50 years I have read numerous books on Buddhism and listened to numerous talks on Buddhism by well-respected and learned monks and lay teachers. I have conducted Buddhist classes for parents of Sunday School children in a Theravada Buddhist Temple. My teacher was the late Chief Reverend, The Ven. K Sri Dhammananda of The Brickfields Buddhist Mahavihara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You can view the relevant website in memory of my revered late teacher @ and my blog posting at

I am a life member of the Buddhist Missionary Society Malaysia.

YOU ARE INVITED TO VISIT MY BLOG @ Published a book called "The Rainbow And The Treasure". It is a compilation of extracts from various sources to introduce Buddhism to beginners. (Currently out of print)

Bachelor of Commerce And Administration, Victoria University Of Wellington, NZ.(1974)