Buddhists/Questions on Zen

Question
Sir
I am Preethi, pursuing my Masters in Engineering, in India. As part of my curriculum I have registered for a “Liberal Learning course” where I had to choose a topic of my interest and explore it by identifying some key questions I have on that topic. I have chosen my topic as “Zen and its application to everyday living” and have come up with the following questions.

1.      What is the influence of Zen on people and cultures?
2.      How is Zen applied in product design?
3.      How can we apply “Zen” in our daily life?

I am now seeking an expert who can share his/her opinion on the above mentioned questions and found you on the internet. Would you be kind enough to share your opinion?

Answer
Good evening Preethi,

Zen is actually an off-shoot of Buddhism.  Zen is Japanese, loosely translated to mean meditation. Zen was introduced from China which is called "chan".  Now zen has come to denote Japanese-type of meditation.  I am not practising Japanese zen, and do not have deep knowledge on the subject.  Your question is very general.  Unless one practises zen, there won't be any influence. Look at Japan, the people in general are not influenced by zen teachings.  

Zen is a spiritual undertaking.  It has nothing to do with product design.  Of course, commercialism can use the term "zen" to market their products.

Zen is a spiritual cultivation to understand life through meditation.  As with other types of Buddhist meditation, zen seek self-realization through calming the mind. With practice, one is supposed to be more mindful and peaceful.

Justin Choo  

Buddhists

Justin Choo