Buddhists/buddhism

Question
Dear Buddhist,
I understand that Buddhist believe in the "anatta" (non-self). It doesn't make sense to me that someone can beleive in something one doesn't beleive exists. Anatta is a term for something you don't even think exists. Why even use such a strange word?

Answer
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your question.

Yes Buddhist do believe in Anatta.

Anatta is commonly translated as “not-self.” What this means is cessation of a “self” or being, cessation of existence in a conventional form, or that ownership cannot exist because all things including owner and object will cease to be.  

It is like we started a game, we assume this is me and that is you. We decide to say this now belongs to you and this belongs to me. Then we decide that you will be this and I will be that. All these things that we designate and create go to fill a self that doesn't actually exist. Through this self that we create (that is temporary, leading towards suffering and that doesn't really exist) we experience different things.

The knoweldge that these "self's" are fabricated and created is what we strive to understand. The opposite of self - is not self. However, this translation lacks the meaning it has in the original text of Pali. It refers to a state that is not created and temporary.

It is as if I had you write all the things you are and like on a blank piece of paper. Everything you wrote reflects who you are. Who you think you are. Who you want me to think you are. However, when I refer to not self, or no self, I am referring to the blank piece of paper. The paper has no identity (other than blank paper) and does not strive to create identity. It just is.

"It doesn't make sense to me that someone can beleive in something one doesn't beleive exists. Anatta is a term for something you don't even think exists."

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying it is weird that there is a term for something that doesn't exist?

This actually happens a lot.

The brontosaurus never existed, but we have a name for it.

Unicorns don't exist, but we have a name for it.

The "deathstar" doesn't exist, but we have a name for it.

Jedi's don't exist, but we have a name for it.

In the movie the Matrix, the real world was given a name, "the Matrix."

So, I'm not quite sure what your question is. Could you please rephrase?

I hope I have answered your questions, but if not, I would appreciate more clarification.  

Buddhists

Anandapanyo Bhikkhu