Buddhists/buddhism

Question
In one of the answers you mentioned that "BUDDHA SAID THAT BUDDHISM WILL LAST ONLY FOR 5000 YEARS." why so? what after that?

Answer
Dear Gurinder Singh,

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.

"Buddha said that Buddhism will last only for 5000 years."

There are two ways to answer this question.

1. Because of women ordaining. I will not explain this, because personally I don't agree with the rationality that Buddha was sexist and that women are the sole cause of Buddhism lasting 5000 years and not 10000 years.

2. It is the way it has to be. There can be no Buddha at an age expectancy of under 100 years of age. Each 100 years, the age expectancy drops by 1 year. It has already been 2556 years since the Buddha's passing. Therefore we are at an age expectancy of (100-25.56 years) 74.44 years.

Our Buddha came at the lowest age expectancy possible for a Buddha to come. The reason is that people are slowly and gradually getting more and more evil and less and less good. We have more desires, more kilesa and evil in our hearts than good. As life expectancy gets lower, people will be more likely to be greedly, selfish and self-serving. They will not have desire or time for things like doing good and religion. After 5000 years, people will have a life expectancy of 50 years. At that time, Buddhism will disappear from the world. People will not of heard of it. There will be no books/teachers left to talk about it. There will be no monks left.

This is what the Buddha predicted. It is part of the cycle of life.

I hope I have answered your questions.  

Buddhists

Anandapanyo Bhikkhu