Buddhists/Karma

Question
I have learn and heard about Karma basically but at times  i think the equation doesn't meet i.e. u are suppose to get what u sow but i hv seen many good people who hv perform good deeds and also do merits and chanting but still meets with problems obstacles hardship etc and the answer i always get is due to their previous  karma is very bad.I feel this matter very subjective. And Buddha's teaching say this life  we are in  is full of suffering no matter u rich or poor  u king  or monk thus we  should cease this life to  go to nibbana .....if so why did GOD created mankind and the universe in the first place ? What about  my friends  in Christianity or Muslim  or Hindduism etc ....if they dont  believe in buddhism ?
With due respect and No offence intended...seeking your  venerable guidance....shadu shadu shadu.

Answer
Good evening Edwin,

The concept of karma (Sanskrit)or kamma (Pali) is not as simple as it is usually explained. Kamma in Buddhist context means volitional actions, meaning "actions done consciously and intentionally".  When we refer to "past" or "previous" kamma, we usually mean kamma of previous lives.  However, we must also consider kamma done in the present life.  Whatever kamma that were created would undoubtedly generate corresponding reactions or results. But we do not know when these results would appear or come into fruition. That is why as you said, we sometimes see good people suffering while the bad ones seem to enjoy life.  The process of actions and reactions is a continuous cycle and we never know when and which reactions will appear.  

Another aspect of kamma is that it is a vast accumulation of actions, both good and bad. We will never know how and when they will take fruition.  That is why Buddhists are encouraged to always do good and avoid evil actions, so that the good actions will overwhelm the accumulated bad actions .  Even in times of good fortune, Buddhists are also cautioned to be mindful that bad times may strike without warning.  

Buddhists do not subscribe to the belief that there is a creator God.  The Buddha pointed out that if we see carefully, we will realize that this existence is full of unsatisfactoriness.  This means existence is subject to suffering, and the logical thing to avoid this suffering is not to exist. Nibbana is "not to exist" for lack of a better term.  This is a very deep concept and it takes deeper understanding of the Buddha's teachings.

Being Buddhist is just a label.  The universal truth is that if a person is evil, he will suffer the consequences.  And if a person is wholesome, kind and good, then this person will reap happy results.  

Hope this helps.

Take care and be happy.

Justin Choo  

Buddhists

Justin Choo