Buddhists/Buddhism and pets

I had a discussion with my father about people that kills animals, then i asked him about people with pets. He then told me that it's wrong to have pets as a Buddhist, he didn't say why it was wrong but i guess it has something to do with Karma maybe? Is it wrong to have pets according to Buddhist teachings? Thank you for Your time.

Hi Tieth,

The Buddha encouraged us to use our human intelligence and common sense to analyze things.  Leave aside Buddhism, or any other religion for that matter, just consider these 3 criteria in everything you do:

1. Is the action harmful to oneself?
2. Is the action harmful to others?
3. Is the action beneficial?

Take care and be happy.

Justin Choo

Justin Choo

All your questions will be answered, and you may not have to agree with the answers. Such is the beauty of Buddhism. I follow the Theravada tradition, and have been studying Buddhism for more than 50 years. As I am not a Buddhist scholar, I answer in simple language, and I prefer answering general questions rather than textual.

I was brought up in the 50's as a Buddhist. For the past 50 years I have read numerous books on Buddhism and listened to numerous talks on Buddhism by well-respected and learned monks and lay teachers. I have conducted Buddhist classes for parents of Sunday School children in a Theravada Buddhist Temple. My teacher was the late Chief Reverend, The Ven. K Sri Dhammananda of The Brickfields Buddhist Mahavihara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You can view the relevant website in memory of my revered late teacher @ and my blog posting at

I am a life member of the Buddhist Missionary Society Malaysia.

YOU ARE INVITED TO VISIT MY BLOG @ Published a book called "The Rainbow And The Treasure". It is a compilation of extracts from various sources to introduce Buddhism to beginners. (Currently out of print)

Bachelor of Commerce And Administration, Victoria University Of Wellington, NZ.(1974)