Buddhists/Buddhism

Question
Hello Justin,

My name is Taylor, I am a high school senior working on a project focusing on world religions, specifically, Buddhism.  I was hoping you could take some time to answer a few questions today.  I am having a tough time finding a reliable source and your feedback would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

What are some requirements of being a member of Buddhism?

What are some major holidays for Buddhism?

What was it like to be raised in the Buddhist faith, compared to other faiths you may know of?

As a Buddhist, what do you believe about the afterlife?

How do you believe the universe was created?

Is the purpose of your life to attain enlightment?

Answer
Hi Taylor,

Buddhism is not like Christianity or Islam.  There is no special requirement.  If you agree with the teachings of the Buddha, and wish to follow his teachings, you can call yourself a Buddhist.  The term "Buddhist" is just a man-made label.  It is one's conduct in life that is important.

The most significant holiday is Wesak day.  It was this day that the Buddha was born, gained enlightenment, and passed away.  It is the full moon day in May.  This year 2013 is May 24.

Depends on the nationality.  The Burmese, Thai, Tibetan and Sri Lankan Buddhists have absorbed Buddhism into their cultures and way of life.   

More important is how to live a wholesome and harmless life here and now.  Nobody knows about after life.  Those who claime they "know" are not based on their experience because it is a fact that nobody knows for sure with concrete proof.

If one understands the nature of existence, one does not have to belief.  Just read any book on the universe, and you will know that there cannot be a beginning or an end.  Every process in the universe is a cycle of formation, expansion, degeneration and extermination.  Then the process starts all over again.

Life is part of the above phenomenal process of formation, expansion, degeneration and extermination.  In more specific term; birth, old age, sickness and death.  There is no purpose in life.  However, since life is not of the perfect existence, there is this wish not to exist in this world again, in Buddhist parlance, to work towards liberation of not having to be reborn again; in a way you can call it working towards "enlightenment".

Regards and be happy.  Hope this helps.

Justin Choo  

Buddhists

Justin Choo