Buddhists/Buddhism and nationalism

Question
Can you be both a Buddhist and a nationalist? I'm a Pan-Celtic Nationalist whose interested in Buddhism and I'm wondering if my political views (self-determination for the six Celtic nations) is compatible with Buddhism

Answer
Hi Alyssa,

The answer is very simple, at least in principle: if you work for political change through peaceful, non-violent action that does not promote hate, then of course that is compatible with Buddhism. If someone works for political change through violent methods (which necessarily promote hate), then no, that way of doing things is not compatible with Buddhism.

I hope that helps a bit!

Buddhists

Alex Wilding