Buddhists/Can anyone from different religions/ non religion practice good values from Buddhism or Buddha?

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I'm new to Buddhism but I am interested to learn the values of Buddhism and incorporate them into my daily living.
But I have a question:
Did any scriptures mention that the Buddha prohibits anyone that are not Buddhist or not His follower to practice his teaching?
I mean if I am not a Buddhist, maybe from other religion or no-religion, can I practice part of the teachings of Buddha that make sense and good for me?
I am sorry for such a stupid question as my heart is a bit unease when I am practicing. Hope you will answer my question.

ANSWER: Hi Kusaka Masato,

The Buddha never forbid anyone to follow his advice/teaching even if the person is not his follower.  The Buddha was not interested in getting more followers.  In fact when he became enlightened, he was adamant of sharing his discoveries as he thought, not many would understand.  The Buddha taught universal truths which transcend race, religion and whatever.  Truth is truth.  For example, the Buddha laid down the five precepts for his followers.  These five precepts are universal truths, universal moral values.  They apply to everyone who wishes to live a harmless and peaceful life.  

You need not have to be labeled a "Buddhist" in order to practise the Buddha's teachings. Buddha's teachings are for everyone, they are universal truths. You are most welcome to practise them, and I hope you experience inner peace and happiness.  

Reagrds,
Justin Choo     

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your reply,

May I ask 2 more questions?
This is regarding mindfulness:
1. As far as I know mindfulness means aware of present without Judgement, so that means when I am doing administrative job with some music on background, I focus on the present task (here and now), what I am doing that means I am being mindful?

2. This is what I found online :
"If you are remembering your second-grade teacher, that is memory. When you then become aware that you are remembering your second-grade teacher, that is Mindfulness. If you then conceptualize the process and say to yourself, "Oh, I am remembering", that is thinking. "

But administrative works involved conceptualizing mm weird, that means when I am doing my job I am not mindful? actually thinking...?

Thank you for your precious time for reading, looking forward for your advices.

ANSWER: Hi Kusaka Masato,

(Just curious, you listed as Kelantan, but now Pulau Pinang. Like to share this?)

Mindfulness is concentrating on the present moment WITH judgement. If we are not mindful with judgement (or alertness) then we will be doing things like zombies.

Only when you are in meditation, you concentrate on present moment without judgement.

2. This is what I found online :

Please don't fall into the trap of being too academic over Buddhist terms.  You will find differing interpretations even amongst Buddhist scholars.  Just learn Buddhism as if you are going for a wonderful holiday, learn and enjoy each day as you visit the various new places.  Then when you come to the end of the holiday period, you would know the place better as a whole.    

Justin Choo

QUESTION: Thank you so much, I really appreciate your answers. I think I understand your point, because I am currently using "Mindfulness" as defined by Jon Kabat-Zinn for my anxiety therapy.

Maybe the more I read about mindfulness, the more confusing thoughts I am having because of different definitions. At the end I am questioning myself what I am using by the way, is my method correct? Making myself more confuse and worsening my anxiety condition more and more..

So generally I think "Mindfulness is the gentle effort to be continuously present with experience" when destructive or negative thoughts comes by just let them flow away and I direct back my attention on present.
I think as far as I concern, in the present it is better to me to stick back to definition of mindfulness for psychotherapy for my anxiety treatment.
Ya, it should be like a holiday as you said. Thank you so much!!!

Sorry for disturbing you again.

Answer
Hi Kusaka Masato,

Thank you for returning and the feed-back.

If you are really serious on pursuing mindfulness, you may like to read my article on Goenka Vipassana Meditation.  The link is below:

http://goodguy.hubpages.com/hub/What-Is-Goenka-Vipassana-Meditation

Kind regards,
Justin Choo  

Buddhists

Justin Choo