Buddhists/Bing in the moment

Dear Justin,

Thank you for helping me with my last quesion

First, I wanted to ask you if you know if the Buddha enjoyed life after he was enlightened? It seemed to me that if he was happy he enjoyed it. Also,can monks enjoy things even though they are reaching for a higher level?

As for being in the moment, I am not sure when I am in the moment and when I am not when I am living each day. I don't think that being self-concious is really being in the moment because it isn't enjoyable. When you are absorbed in the moment and not being worried about anything else is that the "in the moment" that is talked about for Buddhist engage in?

Thank you,

Hi Lauren,

I think you need to read a bit more about Buddhism.  A good book to read is this:

Coming back to your question, you are now using your own perspective to relate to things as whether they are enjoyable or not.  What are enjoyable to us normal worldly beings are not necessarily so for those who have reached a higher spiritual level. There is a Buddhist quotation that states that Nibbana is the highest bliss.  Okay, let me give you an example.  When we were very young, our toys gave us the most enjoyment.  What about now?

For being in the present moment means clear awareness of the "here and now".  Example, when I wash the dishes, I concentrate on washing the dishes, and not thinking of anything else.  Usually our mind leads us to the past or to the future, never stays at the present moment.  When we can train ourselves to be more at the "present moment", we will be more alert of the present situation, and will not just react to situations, but instead respond rationally.  When we are at the present moment, it means we are very alert and in control of the present situation.

Justin Choo

All your questions will be answered, and you may not have to agree with the answers. Such is the beauty of Buddhism. I follow the Theravada tradition, and have been studying Buddhism for more than 50 years. As I am not a Buddhist scholar, I answer in simple language, and I prefer answering general questions rather than textual.

I was brought up in the 50's as a Buddhist. For the past 50 years I have read numerous books on Buddhism and listened to numerous talks on Buddhism by well-respected and learned monks and lay teachers. I have conducted Buddhist classes for parents of Sunday School children in a Theravada Buddhist Temple. My teacher was the late Chief Reverend, The Ven. K Sri Dhammananda of The Brickfields Buddhist Mahavihara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You can view the relevant website in memory of my revered late teacher @ and my blog posting at

I am a life member of the Buddhist Missionary Society Malaysia.

YOU ARE INVITED TO VISIT MY BLOG @ Published a book called "The Rainbow And The Treasure". It is a compilation of extracts from various sources to introduce Buddhism to beginners. (Currently out of print)

Bachelor of Commerce And Administration, Victoria University Of Wellington, NZ.(1974)