Buddhists/Golden Rule

Question
I will give a talk with regard to "Golden Rule" statements in religious scripture and tradition. Researching when and where these statements are realised and actualised, what are their potential impact in conflict prevention and resolution, provided the participants are religious.

The following are two specific questions requiring your opinion to be used as a source for analysis. Your feedback and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

For reference:
- The positive form of Golden Rule is to “treat others as you want them to treat you”.
- The negative form of Golden Rule is to "do not treat others as you do not want them to treat you".
- The following is widely quoted as the Buddhism Golden Rule: “Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."  (Udana-Varga, 5:18)

Question 1: Do you consider Golden Rule statement to represent the core or starting point for Buddhism religious tenets?  (Please answer Yes or No)

Question 2: Do you consider the remit of Golden Rule statement to be applicable to:

2.1)  Buddhists only. If so to what extend does it contribute or has the potential to contribute to indifference, divisiveness, and hostility towards non-Buddhists. Can you please use ratings in heading 3.

Or

2.2) Buddhists and non-Buddhists. If so to what extent does it contribute or has the potential to contribute to affinity, unity and peace between Buddhists and non-Buddhists. Can you please use ratings in heading 3.

Or

2.3) Different interpretation. Can you please comment.

3) Please specify the following numeric rating range for categories 2.1, 2.2

5 for Very great
4 for Great
3 for Moderate
2 for Little
1 for Very little
0 for None

Many thanks

Answer

That is not the sort of question that can be answered with a plain Yes or No. We would have to look at what you mean by "tenets" and on why they would have a "core" or "starting point". But it sits well with Buddhism.

Of course not. That would be bizarre!

Or

Of course it does. It's a good rule for anybody - for any sentient being, even, inasmuch as they might be capable of acting on it. How much it actually helps in promoting harmony depends more on the people concerned than on the rule, however, so putting a number on it would be a trifle silly, since you ask.

Or

5 for Very great
4 for Great
3 for Moderate
2 for Little
1 for Very little
0 for None

Any answer along these lines would be a matter of sheer speculation and opinion.

I know these answers are not what you're looking for, but they are honest ones. I hope it helps a little.

Buddhists

Alex Wilding