Buddhists/Buddhism

Question
Hello Mr. Choo, my name is Allison. For a school project I am required to interview someone of a different religion. I was hoping you could answer some questions for me. I had to come up with 15, which I know is a lot but I would really appreciate your time.

1) What are the beliefs/main principles in Buddhism?
2) Are there any certain rules of Buddhism that you have to follow? If so, specify.
3) What can you tell me about Buddha?
4) What does a day at the temple or class consist of?
5) How do you become a Buddhist?
6) Why did you become a Buddhist?
7) Are there different types of Buddhism? If so, what are they?
8) What are some major holidays for Buddhist?
9) What does a typical meditation session consist of?
10) Why do people get a Buddhist name after becoming a Buddhist?
11) How are these names decided?
12) What is the most important aspect to you of being a Buddhist?
13) Does your religion help you in making important life decisions?
14)How should one live the Buddhist way of life?
15)What is the role of a Monk?

Once again thank you for taking time out of your day to answer my questions (:

Answer
Hi Allison,

15 questions at one go, are lot to answer for a topic like Buddhism!   So I shall only give you brief answers.

Avoid doing evil, do good, and purify your mind

There are no "rules" but advices of the Buddha. The Golden Rule: Do unto others what you wish done to you. Don't do to others that you don't wish done to you. Being Buddhists, we try to keep the five precepts.  They are: refrain from killing, from stealing, from sexual misconduct, from telling lies, and from taking intoxicating substances.

3) What can you tell me about Buddha?
The word "Buddha" is an Indian Pali word meaning "Fully enlightened being". He fully comprehended the nature of life and existence.  His teachings are all about this.

The Buddha did not organize anything close to what people tend to believe.  He taught the true nature of existence, and how to live a harmless and peaceful life, free from craving, hatred and delusion. Now we have temples of different Buddhist traditions, each incorporating its traditional rites and rituals which the Buddha did not introduce. Too diverse to describe here.
But generally, chanting and learning the teachings of the Buddha.

5) How do you become a Buddhist?
I was born in a Buddhist family.  But I self learned Buddhism.

6) Why did you become a Buddhist?
Because Buddhism encourages its followers to use their common sense and human intelligence to live life in a harmless and peaceful manner.

The fundamental core beliefs are the same.  Only differences in rites and rituals, and some wider issues. Two main traditions or schools are Mahayana and Theravada with their sub-groups.

Wesak Day, which falls on the full moon day in the month of May.

Buddhist meditation is too deep to describe in a few lines. The objective is to tame the mind, calm the mind, and be master of the mind, instead of being a slave of the mind succumbing to its whims and fancies.

Not a requirement.  Usually Tibetan Buddhism practise this. I don't have a "Buddhist" name.  A Buddhist name is just a label, doesn't mean a thing.  Monks will be given Buddhist names, and then again the names vary according to the nationalities/traditions.  Example, Chinese Buddhism will adopt Chinese version, Tibetans will have their own Buddhist names, and the Theravada tradition will have the Pali names.

11) How are these names decided?
Too diverse to answer, depending on the tradition.  Usually given by monks.

Reduce greed and hatred and purify the mind through Buddhist meditation.

The teachings of the Buddha are all about making life's important decisions.

Live a harmless and peaceful life.  Do not harm others.

15)What is the role of a Monk?
Teach followers the message of the Buddha. Be a guiding example of a morally and spiritually elevated person.

Hope this helps.  If you wish deeper answers, you need to ask a question at a time.
Take care and I wish you success in our education.

Justin Choo

Buddhists

Justin Choo