Buddhists/concentration

Question
Hello Mr John

I've been meditating for some time now, but I cannot focus or concentrate on any object, I always get distracted. The only progess I see is that at the beginning I could hardly sit for 10 minutes and now I can sit for 30 minutes.
Can you suggest me something to improve my meditation?

Thanks

Answer
Hello Luke,
I do not think that you should concentrate at all on the length of time of your meditation. Just sit comfortably on a chair with your feet firmly planted on the floor, half close your eyes and count your breathing. When you are distracted by a thought or noise, just start to count your breathing again. A daily 20-minute session should be quite sufficient to learn to be in the here and now. It will now be easier every time for you to remain in the here and now when walking, working, studying, etc. Remember that this is the main purpose of meditation, to learn to live fully in the here and now, to enjoy every minute of your life. Always bear in mind that your whole life amounts to only about 4,000 weeks, that's all.
Kind regards,
Advayavadananda.  

Buddhists

John Willemsens aka Advayavadananda