Buddhists/Arhats in Mahayana Buddhism

Question
An Arhat is the ideal of Theravada Buddhism.  I know that in Mahayana Buddhism, there is the Bodhisattva Ideal, but I am wondering about the Mahayana perspective on the achievement of Arhatship as the ultimate goal of practice.  

I am wondering what Mahayana Buddhism think about the Arhat Ideal. Is an Arhat perfect like the Buddha?  Is an Arhat also subject to rebirth?...

Answer
Hi Ted,
In Mahayana Buddhism the arhat is as purified as a Buddha, and will not *have* to be reborn. However, they do not have as many qualities that can help others to liberation as a Buddha - I think that's the same difference as in Theravada.
It is commonly taught that after a long, long time in what they thought was the ultimate nirvana, a blessing from the Buddha wakes them up, and they are then on a high Bodhisattva stage. They see that there is more to do, and work compassionately to become full Buddhas.
That is more or less the view of sutra-based Mahayana. Tantric explanations can vary.
Does that help?

Buddhists

Alex Wilding