Buddhists/Questions about the Genetic Engineering

What is Buddhism’s response to genetic engineering? Can you explain in detail please

Hi Kevin,

My apology for this oversight for the late response.  

Buddhism does not adhere to blind orthodoxed concepts.  Buddhism is basically about how to live in peace and harmony with oneself and the world.  Inner peace is the essence of Buddhist life.  As such your query is actually not so much concerned with Buddhism.  However, Buddhism is a very pragmatic way of life.  The Buddha did not specify from A to Z what was correct or incorrect.  That would be an impossible thing to cover.   He encouraged us to use our common sense and human intelligence to analyze things.  It is not written specifically in any Buddhist text, but the 3-way acid test can be used to analyze any subject.  One has not to be very intelligent to decide on things.  

This is the 3-way acid test.  Just ask ourselves the three questions:
1. Is the subject/action harmful to us?
2. Is it harmful to others?
3. Is it beneficial?

Justin Choo  

Justin Choo

All your questions will be answered, and you may not have to agree with the answers. Such is the beauty of Buddhism. I follow the Theravada tradition, and have been studying Buddhism for more than 50 years. As I am not a Buddhist scholar, I answer in simple language, and I prefer answering general questions rather than textual.

I was brought up in the 50's as a Buddhist. For the past 50 years I have read numerous books on Buddhism and listened to numerous talks on Buddhism by well-respected and learned monks and lay teachers. I have conducted Buddhist classes for parents of Sunday School children in a Theravada Buddhist Temple. My teacher was the late Chief Reverend, The Ven. K Sri Dhammananda of The Brickfields Buddhist Mahavihara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You can view the relevant website in memory of my revered late teacher @ and my blog posting at

I am a life member of the Buddhist Missionary Society Malaysia.

YOU ARE INVITED TO VISIT MY BLOG @ Published a book called "The Rainbow And The Treasure". It is a compilation of extracts from various sources to introduce Buddhism to beginners. (Currently out of print)

Bachelor of Commerce And Administration, Victoria University Of Wellington, NZ.(1974)