Buddhists/Path towards Enlightenment

Question
What is the path to Enlightenment in Theravada Buddhism?  

I have heard in some sects of Mahayana Buddhism, there is a gradual path towards Enlightenment; when the practitioner begins with the aspiration to attain a favorable rebirth, and then moves on to strive for liberation.

Some say that in Theravada Buddhism, the Noble Eightfold Path is the primary way to Arhatship.  Others say that the Path of Purification, from the commentary Visuddhimagga, in which the practitioner moves on through the four stages by removing the fetters, is the primary path.  I have heard that there are the four stages to Enlightenment and the cessation of fetters along the way.  But the Noble Eightfold Path did not mention the stages of Enlightenment or removing fetters to become liberated.  It is just teaches us to lead a righteous lifestyle to become liberated.  The books I have read does not teach the way or path towards liberation but only techniques to overcome problems in everyday life.  My question is, is there a path in Theravada Buddhism in which the practitioner needs to follow in order to remove the fetters and become Enlightened?  Is there a practice manual towards Enlightenment?  (If you know what I mean).  If so, what books or scriptures do you recommend?

Answer
Hi Dan,

It is said that the visuddhimagga is not the direct teachings from the Buddha himself, as the author was Buddhaghosa. The Noble Eightfold Path is the direct teachings of the Buddha. On this take alone, we should look closer at the Eightfold Path.  

The 4 Nobel Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path are the complete embodiment of the Buddha's teachings.  The forth Noble Truth specifically states the path to the extinction of rebirth and suffering, which means the attainment of liberation, or enlightenment.  If you study the Eightfold Path carefully, you will find the blueprint to liberation under 3 broad categories, namely, morality, concentration, and wisdom.  Through mindful meditation with morality as its base, the seeker will gradually gain the wisdom towards liberation.  

The relevant books will be those on Vipassana meditation.  On a more practical approach I would strongly recommend the Goenka Vipassana Meditation Course.  I have written an article on this, and if you are interested you can go to this site @ http://goodguy.hubpages.com/hub/What-Is-Goenka-Vipassana-Meditation

Hope this helps.  Take care.

Justin Choo

Buddhists

Justin Choo