I have noticed that every thought that goes through my mind has a
direct psychical reaction in my body. Would it be correct to say that the mind is the generator of suffering, and the physical body is the receiver. It appears that we experience suffering in the physical body, not the mind. What I would like to know is how does an entity (if I may call it that) experience suffering if it doesn’t have a physical body? Like say in the ghost realm or any of the lower realms where there is no physical body.

Dear Bob,

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.

First of all, you are mostly correct, we experience suffering in the mind. However, while the mind is the one who experiences the SUFFERING, the body is the one that experiences the initial pain (which is real and is one of the stimulants of suffering). Pain is real and is physical. Suffering is emotional and voluntary.

There are some cases in which pain is welcomed and expected and enjoyed. Then there are cases where pain is not welcomed, unexpected and endured. The mind is the one that translates the pain and tells us what is wanted (happiness) and unwanted (suffering).

An entity that doesn't have a physical body can also experience pain or happiness. An easy enough example is fantasy or dreams.

Your body is not experiencing (directly) any of the sensations of the mind. The mind is making up the scenario and experiencing it. We can cry, laugh, scream or feel emotions even though our body is not flying, walking, eating, laughing. Our minds are. Our dreams are not necessarily real or based fully on reality. Sometimes we switch people in and out. Sometimes we replace our brother with our sister. Sometimes we replace our sister with our wife. But the feelings we feel are real.

Sometimes we sit and think about someone, we can feel anger arise or happiness arise without actually being physically involved with them.

For example, if we think about a girl/guy we like, we can get all hot and bothered and excited, even though we have not had immediate physical contact with them. But the feelings we experience are real. Our mind generates them based on past physical experience and memory.

I hope I have answered your questions.  

Anandapanyo Bhikkhu

I can answer questions about Buddhist practice, Buddhist understanding and how to apply Buddhism to daily life. I can help analyze Buddhist sayings and teachings. In addition, I can help with questions Buddhism stories, fables and Vinaya(rules). I have meditated for over 10 years and can help you start with meditation. In addition, I can help provide insight into what to do when you feel that you have hit a wall with your meditation. My main area of expertise is how to think in accordance with Sammaditthi (the right view - and number 1 in the Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path. If I cannot answer your question, I have many able teachers with over 20 years experience to help me, so chances are I will be able to find an answer for you.

I have been practicing Buddhism since I was born, but as a serious practice since 2003. I started studying under various famous Thai Theravada masters. Finally, I met and studied under Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanyo who has recently passed away on Nov 11, 2008 and is widely accepted as a great Arahant (fully enlightened) teacher of our time. In addition, I have personally read and studied much of the Buddhist scriptures and popular literature available. I have recently undertaken the ordination vows and have become a Buddhist monk in the theravada forest monk tradition. I reside at a temple with many dedicated practitioners and great teachers. I have been practicing training my mind to be aligned with right view (sammaditthi) for over 10 years. I have also been meditating for over 10 years. In my time spent with Acariya Thoon, I learned many things and was able to incorporate them into my life. In addition to practicing Buddhism within temples and my home, I used to own two restaurants and managed commercial real estate. I had to deal with many different and problems. I learned how to use Buddhism to fix my problems, both externally (my environment) and internally (within me).

San Fran Dhammaram Temple KPYUSA - a non-profit religious organization

Electrical Engineering Degree from the University of California Santa Barbara MBA from San Francisco State