Buddhists/Suffering Question

I have noticed that every thought that passes through my mind has a direct psychical reaction in my body. Would it be correct to say that the mind is the generator of suffering or well being, and the physical body is the receiver? It appears that we experience suffering in the physical body, not the mind.

What I would like to know is how does an entity (if I may call it that) experience suffering if it doesn’t have a physical body? Like say in the ghost realm or any of the lower realms where there is no physical body.

If you go to visit ghosts or lower realms, then you can ask them about their suffering. Maybe they'll explain it, and then you can help relive their suffering. Until then, best to help yourself, and the beings you encounter here and now, to relieve suffering.

A good medicine for relieving suffering is to throw away all ideas (e.g. ideas about body or mind or ghosts or higher/lower realms). Then, in this moment, what do you see, what do you hear, what are you doing? Just be clear about that. If you're hungry, eat. If you're tired, sleep. If someone else is hungry, feed them. If someone else is thirsty, give them drink. That's all.

Stuart Resnick

I'm a long-time practitioner in a Korean-style Zen school. I can answer questions regarding Zen, formal sitting meditation, self-inquiry, the practice of "koan" transmission, and offer the particular perspective of this school on the great life questions.

18 years of formal practice with the Kwan Um School of Zen, currently with the Empty Gate Zen Center of Berkeley, currently a "Senior Dharma Teacher" at this center, I give periodic talks and informally answer questions of students interested in Zen practice and teaching style