Does enlightenment happen by causes and conditions?

"Enlightenment" is a teaching word, used to encourage students, and point them to the clear truth of this moment. The truth of this moment is not dependent on thinking. Truth is not dependent on words and ideas like "causes" or "conditions" or "enlightenment."

If you don't attach to those words and ideas... then just now: what do you perceive? What are you doing?

Truth has already appeared, right in front of you.

Stuart Resnick

I'm a long-time practitioner in a Korean-style Zen school. I can answer questions regarding Zen, formal sitting meditation, self-inquiry, the practice of "koan" transmission, and offer the particular perspective of this school on the great life questions.

18 years of formal practice with the Kwan Um School of Zen, currently with the Empty Gate Zen Center of Berkeley, currently a "Senior Dharma Teacher" at this center, I give periodic talks and informally answer questions of students interested in Zen practice and teaching style