Buddhists/Personal Buddhism

Question
Hello Justin Choo. I was hoping to ask you some basic and personalized questions about Buddhism, which I am exploring through an online class. If you could take the time to answer these questions for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

1. Were you born into a Buddhist family or did you pick up the philosophy by yourself? If you did pick up the philosophy by yourself, why did you pick it?
2. In your opinion, what is the most interesting aspect of Buddhism?
3. What is one thing about Buddhism that you believe many people do not know or that is not emphasized enough?
4. How is your practice of Buddhism reflected in your daily routine?
5. If I may ask a personal question, has Buddhism ever helped you deal with a moral dilemma before? And if so, how? What was the dilemma?

Answer
Good evening Amber,

I was born into a Buddhist family, but I learned real Buddhist teachings from books and listening to talks by learned monks and Buddhist speakers.

The freedom to think and analyze its teachings, and then to decide whether to accept or not.

Rites and rituals are actually superficial and not important at all.  

Trying to be mindful of the fragility and uncertainties of existence.

Life is not always easy.  A difficult choice sometimes has to be made.  Buddhism does not compel its followers to adhere to fixed decisions.  It just warns that unwholesome actions will bring forth unwholesome results.  It is up to the individual to decide what is the best option available.

Hope this helps.

Justin Choo

Buddhists

Justin Choo