Buddhists/Buddhism Beliefs

Question
Hi there,
i was just wondering what the main sort of 'core' beliefs of the Buddhism religion were? Like what stems them to live how they live and do what they do? What are the central beliefs that lead to the actions and word and rituals of the Buddhist religion?

Thankyou very much
Rachel

Answer
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions. I will try my best.

The one core belief of Buddhism is simply KARMA. We believe that all things originate from a cause. That cause for each person is a combination of our past actions, speech and thoughts that come from our viewpoints.

Everything that happens to us has its roots in some actions/speech or decisions we have made in the past. Therefore, with this belief, we know that since current situations are the results of part karma, we know that our actions/speech/thoughts are very important to control.

If we do good things, we know we will receive good results. If we do evil things, we know we will receive bad results. Therefore, we strive to make good decisions and not create negative karma. By not creating negative karma, we are trying to influence our future to be more positive and favorable.

Not only do we try to go good to receive good results, we also strive to learn from our past mistakes. We contemplate on past failures or undesirable states in order to learn what choices/desires we made that led to that undesirable situation. This way, we can learn from it and strive to prevent it from recurring in the future.

This is not different than the science that deals with health. If we eat healthy, exercise and generally take care of our bodies, we will be physically healthy. If we intake poisons and unhealthy foods and fail to take care of our bodies, we will be physically sick and weak. We don't treat our bodies well due to fear, but due to understanding. That which we put in, is what we have. If we put in good things into our bodies, our bodies have the best chance for strength and health, if we put in bad things into our bodies, we will have a high chance that we will be weak and sickly.

This is also the same for work. Or relationships. Or in fact, EVERY aspect of life. We get what we put in.

This thought and belief is what drives ALL of Buddhism and our actions, speech and traditions. However, this is the ideal understanding, not everyone has achieved it, hence the need for practice.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Buddhists

Anandapanyo Bhikkhu