Buddhists/Mahayana Buddhism and idenity

Question
I am curious how would you respond to claims that Mahayana Buddhism because reality is ultimately distinctionless, its irrational and we cant know if we are enlightened or not because there are no distictions in ultimate reality

here is were i got the claim http://home.messiah.edu/~rcollins/EASTR1.htm

Answer
> how would you respond to claims that Mahayana Buddhism because
> reality is ultimately distinctionless, its irrational

Imagine a factory that makes animal crackers. Each cracker has a different appearance; one is shaped like an elephant, another like a giraffe, etc. But they're all made of the same dough, and they all taste the same.

All things are like this. Each thing has a different name and form. A river and a tree have different names, different shapes, different colors. Every human, every animal, has its own different name, and different appearance. Yet all of these things have the same substance.

So this idea of "ultimately distinctionless," is an over-simplification, an idea that's not worth much. In fact, it'd be better to throw away all ideas about "Mahayana" and "Buddhism," and instead look very clearly and carefully at your own experience. Just now, what do you see, what do you hear, what are you doing? THAT'S reality... not some ideas that someone calls "Mahayana" or whatever.

> and we cant know if we are enlightened or not

To hold ideas of "enlightened" or "not enlightened" is like dropping a load of sh*t on your head. Forget about these dead concepts, and turn your attention to the living experience of this very moment.

> here is were i got the claim http://home.messiah.edu/~rcollins/EASTR1.htm

It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to read such a long paper (that you link to) to try to understand your question. If you could focus on one specific thing you'd like to ask, and do so in your own words, in just a few sentences, then maybe I could give a clearer answer.

Buddhists

Stuart Resnick